Senior Civil Engineer
Senior Civil Engineer, Strum Consulting
Newfoundland and Labrador
Strum Consulting is searching for a Manager of Civil Engineer to take on an exciting opportunity to become part of this growing firm’s legacy by expanding Strum’s consulting services into Newfoundland and Labrador.
Strum Consulting was founded in 1995 in Bedford, Nova Scotia to address a need for environmental consulting of domestic oil spills. Within a few years, the Company began diversifying into other services and is currently experiencing a period of significant growth to meet the ongoing demands of our clients.
Today, Strum Consulting has grown to over 120 employees with locations throughout Atlantic Canada. As the company has grown, they made it a priority to protect all the things that make Strum special – an individualized approach to projects, strong workplace culture, and local connectedness. Their multi-disciplinary team consists of certified site professionals (certified across multiple provinces), Engineers, Geologists and Hydrogeologists, Biologists, Technologists, Legal Land Surveyors, and Environmental Specialists.
Reporting to the Vice President of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Manager of Civil Engineer plays a key role in expanding service offerings in Civil Engineering at the Strum Consulting offices in NL. They will build strong relationships with clients in a new geographic region on behalf of Strum, acting as a local ambassador for our brand, and growing this team to meet NL needs. The Manager of Civil Engineer will be responsible for all aspects of designing, preparing, and engineering plans, reports, sketches, and drawings for construction, commercial, or institutional developments. They will also supervise and assist with engineering document preparation.
Over time, they will also create strategic human resources plans to inform recruitment, training, of high performing team members, and managing the growing team while maintaining the positive culture Strum is known for.
Key areas of areas of oversight and responsibility are:
Strategic Leadership and Business Development – Provides visionary leadership in the NL market, ensuring alignment with Strum’s mission, and engages regularly with new and existing clients and potential partners to develop new business.
Project Management – Oversees all aspects of active civil engineering projects including contract negotiations, assessments, design, technology, client relations, finances, and health & safety.
Human Resources and Mentorship – Negotiates and oversees terms and conditions of contracts and protects intellectual property rights of Strum and its employees.
Quality Assurance and Compliance – Reviews and evaluates project documents and designs to ensure they meet Strum’s high standards and comply with relevant regulations.
The Ideal Candidate
As the ideal candidate, you are an entrepreneurial leader with a proven track record of successfully managing complex projects and teams. You have excellent theoretical and practical knowledge of civil engineering, with an ability to assess and foresee challenges and opportunities.
Your excellent technical and communication skills will help you and the Strum brand shine at business meetings and while engaging with clients, both in-person and virtually. You are energized by creatively solving problems. You are looking for an opportunity to build a legacy in a tight-knit community within a company that puts people first.
Qualifications and Experience
While the Search Committee recognizes that no one candidate is likely to meet all qualifications in equal measure, those listed below are desirable and will be used to compare candidates.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
• Candidates must be licensed (or eligible for licensure) with PEGNL and the successful candidate must become registered, and maintain their registration, with PEGNL as a condition of employment.
• Minimum 10 years experience of relevant engineering experience.
• Experience managing a portfolio of projects.
• Ability to engage with new and existing clients to build business opportunities.
• Strong people management skills with the ability to build and lead a high-performing team and maintain positive culture.
Skills and Attributes
• Superior technical skill in civil engineering and project management.
• Self Starter and technically strong
• Decisiveness combined with a facilitative style and the ability to effectively explain decisions.
• Excellent communication skills – able to speak in technical terms or seamlessly translate complex information for clients as needed.
• Exceptional relational skills, able to quickly build trusting relationships.
• A curious spirit with integrity, creativity, and sound judgment.
• A detail-oriented, analytical thinker.
• A “pitch in” kind of leader who supports and empowers their team.
If you are interested in this opportunity, contact Michelle Doyle at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Dr. Jennie Massey at email@example.com or submit your full application package by clicking the "APPLY NOW" button below.