Vice President, Sustainability and Government Relations
Restaurants Canada is a national, not-for-profit member-based trade association and is the largest of its kind. It serves the unique needs of the food service industry through member programs, research, advocacy, resources and events. Its members are as diverse as the industry itself, ranging from independent operators to regional and national chains, that include restaurants, bars, caterers, hotels, institutions, food trucks, convenience stores, and other emerging businesses. Restaurant Canada’s members also include industry suppliers, who play an important role in operators’ success across Canada.
The foodservice industry is currently undergoing an exciting transformation as it embraces practices that protect, preserve and restore the natural environment. From revolutionizing how food is produced, packaged, distributed, and consumed and tackling the issue of food waste, the industry is at the brink of a sustainability breakthrough. In Canada, the government is doubling down on its commitment on the industry legislations, designed to reduce and ban the use of plastics. The Vice President, Sustainability and Government Relations has the unique opportunity to play a lead role in representing the voices of its member organizations in the creation of a sustainability agenda for the industry.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President (EVP), Government Relations, the Vice President, Sustainability and Government Relations is responsible for:
• Overseeing sustainability policies for the Canadian foodservice industry across all levels of government
• Keeping informed on industry trends and changes in legislation or regulations governing the operation of foodservice organizations in Canada
• Seeking opportunities to liaise with industry leaders in sustainability, effectively creating alignment amongst key decision-makers and ensuring on-going discussion on emerging trends and best-practices
• Building awareness of key restaurant and foodservice sustainability issues by lobbying politicians, bureaucrats and other decision makers
• Communicating and engaging with Restaurants Canada members most impacted by sustainability files to support their perspectives and initiatives
• Partnering with member organizations as well as other national and regional associations on sustainability files to amplify Restaurants Canada’s knowledge, effectively building the association’s reputation as a credible thought-leader on sustainability in the industry
• Ensuring broad awareness of emerging industry standards related to sustainability through the dissemination of educational information to the membership
• In cooperation with Regional VP’s, acting as a media spokesperson and representing Restaurants Canada and its members on sustainability policy issues
• Handling the departmental budget
Ideal Candidate Profile
As the ideal candidate, along with a post-secondary degree, you bring a strong track record of success in policy, advocacy or government relations roles throughout your career. You have experience in policy development and analysis coupled with a substantial depth of expertise in interpreting legislative and regulatory requirements impacting your sector. An understanding of, or familiarity with current trends, regulations, policies and legislation that impact organizations within the Canadian food industry, specifically related to sustainability, would be considered an asset.
A natural collaborator, you are able to cultivate positive and meaningful relationships and partnerships both inside and outside of the organization, enabling you to build buy-in and to be a trusted source and credible voice for the industry on key initiatives, legislation, and policy changes. Politically savvy and diplomatic, you are able to confidently manage the diverse needs and priorities of a broad range of stakeholders across the private and public sectors. You have excellent communication skills and are adept at navigating discussions with a range of audiences covering a broad spectrum of topics and are able to seamlessly distill complex technical information into clear, impactful ideas and messages. You possess well-developed social skills, which allow you to maneuver social interactions with ease. Additionally, you are a highly skilled project manager who has exceptional organizational skills that can work with changing priorities, quick deadlines alongside a fast-paced team.
How to Apply
If you are interested in being considered as a candidate for this exciting leadership opportunity, please apply online by clicking "Apply Now" on the button below. For more information or to ask any questions, please contact Daniella Sam at firstname.lastname@example.org, Erin MacDonald at email@example.com or Katherine Risley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity and Accessibility Statement
Restaurants Canada is an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, disabilities, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits.
KBRS will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that considers an applicant’s accessibility needs. If you require accommodation to participate as a candidate in the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com or communicate your needs to our team.