President And CEO
Northern College is seeking a visionary and strategic leader to take on a unique opportunity as President, building a lasting legacy that supports the North.
Northern College is situated on the traditional and territorial lands of the Cree, Oji-Cree, Ojibway, and Algonquin homelands. We acknowledge these ancestral lands that we are gathered on, which continue to interconnect us all and remind us that we are all treaty people. First Nation communities now located on these lands include: Temagami, Timiskaming, Matachewan, Mattagami, Apitipi Anicinapek Nation, Taykwa Tagamou, Beaverhouse, Flying Post, Moose Cree, Fort Albany, Kashechewan, Attawapiskat Weenusk, and Metis Peoples Region #3.
Northern College offers career-enhancing education in the great and vast and diverse region of Northern Ontario, with on-site, distance, and hybrid education options for those looking for flexible and impactful online learning opportunities.
Our post-secondary programs equip learners with the education and skills required for careers in the fields of Business and Office Administration, Community Services, Engineering Technology and Trades, Health Sciences and Emergency Services, Veterinary Sciences, and Welding Engineering Technology. We also provide corporate and industry training opportunities, as well as customized training courses and general interest skills learning through Northern Training Division. Post-secondary preparation programs, including free Academic Upgrading, and no-cost Community Employment Services are also available to help learners and job seekers of all backgrounds and skill levels find work.
Northern College has four campuses located throughout Northeastern Ontario in Timmins, Haileybury, Kirkland Lake, and Moosonee.
Reporting to the Board of Governors, the President and CEO is the chief executive officer of Northern College and provides oversight for all administrative, academic, and financial operations in keeping with the College's mandate, board-approved policies, and other appropriate legislation and regulations. The President is responsible for the College's policies, procedures, strategic planning, and development activities. They act as the primary public face of the institution and represent the college in the local community and to governments, academic agencies and other relevant organizations. They are ultimately responsible for the development and implementation of the College’s next strategic plan, and digital transformation plan. As leader of the Senior Management Team, they provide inspirational and action-oriented strategic vision, ensuring long-term sustainability, community engagement, and confidence in the Northern College brand, while prioritizing exceptional experiences for students.
Key areas of oversight and responsibility are:
Vision and Strategic Leadership – Providing creative, solution-oriented strategic leadership at and inspiring connection with the College’s unique identity.
Communications and Representation – Acting as an internal and external face for the institution, while ensuring proactive, transparent, and audience-tailored communication with all key constituents.
Accountability and Stewardship – Models a healthy and positive culture, rewarding positive efforts and successes, and creating an environment that holds people accountable for their work and behaviours.
Organizational Management – Ultimate responsibility for all College operations, ensuring that all reporting areas are aligned, human-centred, performing smoothly, and focused on Indigenization, EDI, and accessibility.
The Ideal Candidate
As the ideal candidate, you are an entrepreneurial and highly effective administrative leader who is relational and dynamic. You are an outgoing person, capable of energizing and inspiring people, while building a foundation of trust with constituents. You have a strong sense of ethics and integrity, along with good judgment and the ability to get things done. You are invested in the success of local communities and all of the College campuses. You have demonstrated success in building strong organizational reputations, identifying strategic opportunities, and making sound decisions in a complex organization, preferably in the public sector.
Qualifications and Experience:
While the Search Committee recognizes that no one candidate is likely to meet all qualifications in equal measure, those listed below are desirable and will be used to compare candidates.
- Completed post-secondary education, with preference given to candidates with advanced credentials.
- An experienced executive leader with some background in education, preferably in the college sector.
- Demonstrated skill in strategic financial management and strategic long-term planning.
- A track record of success leading in a unionized environment.
- Demonstrated success developing and executing on a vision and strategic plan in a complex organizational setting is critical.
- Experience applying equity, diversity, and inclusion lenses to decision-making.
- The ability to foster and maintain positive relationships and partnerships with local communities, private partners, businesses, government, and other institutions and organizations.
- Knowledge of the higher education landscape and contemporary challenges facing Ontario colleges.
- Experience acting as a media spokesperson is a strong asset.
- Ability to communicate in more than one language is an asset.
You are someone with:
- A deeply authentic leadership style, capable of building trusting relationships through empathy.
- A consultative approach with exceptional communication skills, and the ability to collectively inspire and motivate large groups of people.
- A servant leader who collaborates with and actively invests in their organization and community.
- Superior planning skills with a keen ability to establish strategic priorities and implementation plans.
- The ability to build and lead high-performing teams and engage with internal and external partners to achieve goals.
- Integrity, creativity, and sound judgment.
- Decisiveness with the ability to effectively explain decisions and bring clarity to complex issues.
- A high energy level and the capacity to balance multiple priorities while being responsive.
If you are interested in this opportunity, contact Debra Clinton at firstname.lastname@example.org, Kyle Steele at email@example.com, or Dr. Jennie Massey at firstname.lastname@example.org or submit your full application package by clicking on the "Apply Now" button below.