Dean, Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty Of Nursing
The University of Toronto (U of T) seeks a visionary leader as the Dean, Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing (Dean), who will play a key role in advancing the further growth and evolution of the faculty. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of the world’s leading nursing schools to steward its inspiring collaborations as part of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network (TAHSN).
The Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing ranks among the premier nursing programs in the world in education and research. An integral part of one of North America’s largest academic health science complexes, the faculty has an impressive record of collaboration with other health sciences faculties and affiliated hospitals, national and provincial health care agencies, and professional organizations. Comprised of Canada’s leading nurse researchers and educators whose works contribute to knowledge translation, health policy and future clinical practice, the faculty is committed to ensuring students have the highest quality learning experience. Our unrivaled student support funding (the best in Canada) and first-class programs taught by experienced teachers, researchers, outstanding clinicians, and professional leaders make that vision a reality.
Reporting to the Vice-President & Provost, the Dean works closely with the President, Vice-Presidents, and other senior university officers in setting directions for the faculty and its health sciences partners, and supporting the values, vision and mission of the university. The Dean provides dynamic leadership in student, faculty and staff matters, academic programs, budgeting, and external relations. As the chief academic and budgetary officer of the faculty, the Dean will be responsible for the following:
- Recruiting, motivating, and supporting a top-quality faculty and fostering a climate that stimulates all to achieve the highest standards in research, teaching, clinical practice, and leadership in the profession;
- Recruiting the highest-caliber students, continuing to strengthen the student experience with community-building and increased research opportunities for undergraduates;
- Enhancing the global reach of the faculty and playing a leadership role on behalf of nursing research and education within the University and TAHSN as well as regionally, nationally, and internationally;
- Raising funds for the priorities of the Faculty of Nursing, including professorships, student scholarships, and international initiatives;
- Fostering the development of partnerships with alumni, health care agencies, and professional organizations;
- Supporting relationships with the Gerstein Science Information Centre and other libraries in the Health Science Information Consortium of Toronto.
Experience and Qualifications
- Possess a record of excellence in research, scholarship, teaching and administration and a clear understanding of excellence in clinical practice; and demonstrate an understanding of the integral relationship among research and scholarly activity, teaching, and clinical practice in the health professions;
- Articulate a vision for the future of the nursing profession and understand its evolution; generate consensus around a vision for the Faculty of Nursing as an academic unit and a centre of professional development and leadership
- Demonstrate a commitment to students and to excellence and innovation in support of interdisciplinary learning and teaching at the levels of undergraduate, graduate and continuing professional education;
- Demonstrate a facilitative leadership style and the ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, students, and administrative colleagues;
- Demonstrate an enthusiasm for inter-sectoral relationship-building within and beyond academia and health sciences organizations, including strong interest in fundraising and advancement activities;
- Exhibit the interdisciplinary leadership skills required to represent the faculty effectively – within the University, the profession, and the post-secondary education sector, nationally and internationally.
Based in the vibrant and diverse city of Toronto, the tri-campus of U of T is renowned for its leadership in professional education, its pre-eminence in graduate education, its three historic federated universities (Victoria, Trinity, and St. Michael’s), and its tradition of strong senior leadership. U of T is a truly global institution with an extensive alumni network of over half a million people in over 190 countries and territories. U of T is fully committed to teaching and research as complementary facets of scholastic achievement, is consistently ranked among the top 25 universities in the world for teaching, research, and innovation and leads in disciplinary excellence with top-ranked departments in fields ranging from neuroscience to geography to philosophy. The Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing at U of T is consistently ranked among the top nursing faculties in the world.
The University of Toronto embraces diversity and is building a culture of belonging that increases our capacity to effectively address and serve the interests of our global community. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, Black and racialized persons, women, persons with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual and gender identities. We value applicants who have demonstrated a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognize that diverse perspectives, experiences, and expertise are essential to strengthening our academic mission.
This search aligns with the University’s commitment to strategically and proactively promote diversity among our community members (Statement on Equity, Diversity & Excellence). Recognizing that Black, Indigenous, and other Racialized communities have experienced inequities that have developed historically and are ongoing, we strongly welcome and encourage candidates from those communities to apply.
The Search Committee will begin considering potential candidates immediately and will continue until the position is successfully filled. If you are interested in this opportunity, kindly submit your application online by clicking "Apply Now". For additional information, please, contact Amorell Saunders N’Daw at email@example.com or Bola Moradeyo at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you require accommodation in order to participate as a candidate in the recruitment process, please, contact email@example.com.