Dean, Faculty Of Creative Industries
KBRS has partnered with Fanshawe College to recruit a new Dean, Faculty of Creative Industries.
Fanshawe is a comprehensive college serving the greater London region by providing flexible learning and experiential education opportunities that are relevant to current labour market needs. One of Ontario’s largest colleges–with four campuses in London, Simcoe, St. Thomas, and Woodstock–Fanshawe serves close to half a million people with a promise to educate, engage, empower, and excite. The college offers a wide range of full-time and part-time programs so students can learn at their own pace and focuses its work on helping people unlock their potential and achieve success in a variety of disciplines including applied arts, business, health care, human services, hospitality, and technology.
Fanshawe’s mission is to provide pathways to success, an exceptional learning experience and a global outlook to meet student and employer needs while remaining focused on students, involving communities, utilizing resources wisely, embracing change, and engaging each other.
Reporting to the Senior Vice-President, Academic, the Dean, Faculty of Creative Industries contributes to the academic well-being and growth of the college and for providing academic and administrative leadership, supervision, support and direction to the Associate Deans, faculty, administration, and support staff in the division. With a staff of approximately 200 full-time and 500 part-time employees, the Dean is accountable for the planning, development, maintenance and ongoing review of the Creative Industries full-time and part-time post-secondary and non-post-secondary, courses/programs offered by the college.
The Dean is responsible for ensuring that the course and program standards conform to external accreditation and licensing requirements, are both responsive and relevant to the needs of students and the community and aligned with the College’s strategic plan.
Key expectations and areas of responsibility are:
- Strategic Vision – In alignment with the College’s Strategic Goals and Commitments, they develop a strong strategic and operational plan for the Faculty of Creative Industries (FOCI) that builds a collaborative vision for the future, optimizes business and enterprise outcomes, and focuses on post-COVID rebuilding.
- Academic Leadership and Direction – Provides academic and administrative leadership to Associate Deans, managers, academic and support staff involved in the development and delivery of all Creative Industries programs.
- Networking and Partnerships – Identifies and pursues new opportunities in emerging creative industries, including new program development, joint initiatives, and projects, as well as industry partnerships that offer collaborative benefit to all four schools. They proactively seek out and advocate for physical and capital resources and supports on behalf of FOCI – internally within Fanshawe, as well as externally with donors and partners.
- Human and Financial Management – Ensures the effective use of fiscal, human and physical resources within the Faculty through resource planning, operational management, compliance with policy and regulations, and supporting employee performance.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will be a strategic leader, with outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and an open and collegial management style. They will have a track record of improving and innovating in teaching and learning, with a demonstrated commitment to service for students, faculty, and other constituents. Expertise in relevant subject matter and the ability to manage within a complex and unionized environment are all required. They are a data-driven decision maker, with an understanding of data and how to interpret it, and a record of building strong and effective relationships across departments in a complex organization.
Your qualifications and experience:
- A Master’s degree, preferably in one of the disciplines served by the Faculty, or equivalent.
- Significant and diverse leadership experience in a complex, unionized environment. Leadership experience in post-secondary teaching environments is preferred.
- Exceptional strategic and visionary leadership that demonstrates successful execution while building team cohesion, collaboration, and a culture of excellence.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially, building strong, trusting relationships.
- Demonstrated experience building community relationships and developing projects or programs in collaboration with partners.
- Thorough understanding of pedagogy, including emerging technologies that support experiential learning with a demonstrated commitment to alternative learning strategies, student success and academic excellence.
- Exceptional communication and relational skills, with the ability to effectively explain decisions. In addition, it is critical that the next Dean demonstrate a sustained and authentic commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility.
Your skills and attributes:
- A confident, innovative, inspiring, and collaborative leader who will engage the “hearts and minds” of faculty and staff at all levels across FOCI.
- A creative, empathetic, and curious personality, capable of fostering a culture of inquiry.
- A spirit of positive restlessness– fostering innovation and seeing possibilities where others see problems.
- Strong business acumen for optimizing resource and space allocation, within budget.
- Strong negotiation, problem-solving and advocacy skills.
- The ability to face challenges and exercise integrity, flexibility, and good judgment in meeting them
- Decisiveness combined with a consultative style and while empowering faculty and staff.
We will provide support in the recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that considers an applicant’s accessibility needs. If you require accommodation to participate as a candidate in the recruitment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in this opportunity, contact Dr. Jennie Massey at email@example.com, Kyle Steele at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Debra Clinton at email@example.com or submit your full application package online at: https://www.kbrs.ca/Career/16514.
Completed applications can be submitted online by clicking the "Apply Now" button below.