Manager - Financial Services
Reference # AC - 15441
Durham Regional Police Services is currently looking for a Manager Financial Services to join the Financial Services department in the Whitby office.
Reporting to the Director of Business Services, this position serves as the Controller responsible for managing the financial functions for the Service with a budget of nearly $235 million and approximately 1,200 full-time members. As an official signing officer for the Service, the Manager is responsible for financial planning and financial reporting accounting, payroll services, procurement and contract administration.
- Lead and develop a team of 10 finance staff in the areas of general accounting, financial planning, payroll, procurement and contract administration;
- Support an environment based on continuous process innovation;
- Official signing authority for the Service;
- Serve as the Finance representative on a number of steering committees;
- Manage the consolidated annual budget for the Service (approx. $235 million) and long-range capital and operating plan, including presentations and reports;
- Financial and grant reporting, analysis and quarterly forecast development;
- Development of financial policies and internal control systems;
- Purchasing and procurement services, including management of the corporate credit card program;
- Contract negotiation and administration; and
- Payroll administration in compliance with applicable legislation and collective bargaining agreements, and the administration of related systems.
- University Degree in Business or related discipline
- Professional Accounting Designation (Chartered Professional Accountant)
- Minimum 10 years of progressive, significant and varied experience to lead the Service portfolios of Corporate Finance, Payroll and Procurement, as well as to advise senior leadership and stakeholders.
- Competency leading corporate planning, financial policy and procedure, project management, large ERP systems experience.
- Experience with business planning, operating and budget management that have significant impact upon the resources of multiple units, financial viability of services and programs
- Understanding of the Municipal Act, the Police Services Act, Region of Durham Purchasing Bylaws, Budget Management Policy, Employment Standards Act, Freedom of Information, Human Rights Legislation, Occupational Health and Safety and Standard Accounting procedures
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 applications (Visio, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint) at an advance level
- Highly developed problem solving skills
- Ability to interact with external parties (ex. vendors, suppliers, auditors and industry partners) on behalf of the Service
- Discretion with respect to confidential and sensitive material
- Strong ability to negotiate and secure cooperation of others to manage conflict and resolve contentious issues.
- Superior written and oral communications skills, for effective communication of financial matters to both financial and non-financial management and other staff within the organization
- Effective leadership and staff management skills including counseling, coaching, and mentoring as well as effective ability to make decisions and delegate responsibilities
- Success in managing multiple, competing and strict deadlines and affecting change by prioritizing unexpected circumstances
As part of the selection for this position, qualifications and skills listed in the posting will be assessed to measure the suitability of all applicants. Assessments may include, but not be limited to: resume review, skills assessment (s), interview(s), medical assessment, psychological assessment, functional abilities testing and/or background investigation.
To express interest in this opportunity, please click on the "Apply Now" button below.
For more information, please contact Adam Creaghan, Partner at email@example.com or 647-336-1416 or Fay Hage, Recruitment Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org or 647-480-1709. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Fay Hage know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice, we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.